11/25/09

CORN

As I mentioned before, I started out creating jewelry - I always loved beadwork, and did the normal bead and wire necklaces and earrings, as well as some Peyote stitch amulet bags, things of that nature - and many years ago, I received a catalog in the mail with Native American jewelry, clothing and crafts. I looked thru it, and ran across a necklace and earrings incorporating tiny ears of Indian corn made out of glass seed beads with leather husks. I thought they were the cutest things - till I saw the price. The necklace was $100.00 (USD), and the earrings were $40.00! Plus shipping!


My "ears" compared to the originals I discovered in the catalog

Now, I'm NOT saying that they weren't worth it - I'm just saying that I was not willing to pay that much for them. And it was a good cause - I'm always behind anything that benefits the Native American people - they had gotten the short end of the stick for sure thru our nation's sordid history, and I personally feel that we owe them much more than they will ever get back!(...but that's fuel for a posting some other day....)


SO, anyway, I still wanted some, and decided to make my own. Now, I'm sure there's a pattern online somewhere, but 15 years ago, not so much! So I worked my own pattern out using Peyote stitch, and I like them more than the ones I initially wanted! A lot of people see them and think it would be a cute craft for their children to do for a project - but I think mine are have finer details and are a lot more work than folks realize. I know they're not really art, but I'm still sorta proud of them...
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment